Fuad Ahmad Siddiqi , Wasif Anwar, Muhammad Saad Aziz, Muhammad Hammad, Abdul Rehman Arshad, Umer Naseer
Objective: The objective of this study is to determine the effect of long-term proton pump inhibitor use on serum magnesium levels
Study Design: Descriptive cross-sectional study.
Place and Duration of Study: The study was carried out at the Department of Medicine, Combined Military Hospital, Peshawar, Pakistan, from August 2022 to September 2022.
Materials and Methods: Individuals from both genders were included with a minimum proton pump inhibitor usage of 1 year. Possible confounders, including patients with a history of smoking and alcohol use, GI disorders, hemodialysis dependence, and supplement use, were excluded. Data were summarized as frequencies and mean using a statistical package for social sciences software version 23. Standard deviation was calculated for quantitative variables.
Results: Out of 398 patients included in the study, 72.3% (n=288) were males, and 27.7% (n=110) were females. The mean duration of proton pump inhibitor usage was 3.88±3.79 years. The mean serum magnesium level measured was 0.9548±0.14mmol/L. 2.3% (n=9) individuals had serum magnesium levels <0.7mmol/L, and all of them were using 40mg/day of either of the PPIs, while the remaining 97.7% (n=389) had a serum magnesium level of ≥0.7mmol/L.
Conclusion: This study did not find any statistically significant impact of long-term proton pump inhibitor use on Serum Magnesium levels. Dietary magnesium may have a role in preventing this complication.
Keywords: Dyspepsia, Magnesium, Omeprazole, Proton Pump Inhibitor.
How to cite this: Siddiqi FA, Anwar W, Aziz MS, Hammad M, Arshad AR, Naseer U. Relationship Between Long Term Proton Pump Inhibitor Use and Serum Magnesium Levels: A Cross-Sectional Study. 2023; 4(3): 276-281. doi: http://doi.org/10.37185/LnS.1.1.326Read PDF
All the articles published in Life and Science are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License